The jupon is now finished and got its first formal appearance at the Steel Rose Tourney held by the College of St Malachy recently. Fortunately other people took photos so there are some good action shots. The jupon was made as part of an A&S competition entry for heraldic fighting display. To complete the entry I also made a torse and mantle to make my gaelic helm look a little less out of place with the rest of my mostly 14th century kit.
The tourney was also the first outing of my new leg armour made by Mr B. It appears to work okay. The articulations are a bit sticky and had a tendency to pinch my knee pads and get stuck. Nothing a good smack with a stick didn't fixed. The fluting is nice and I think they will look even better when polished up.
On to the photos. At home I have some "off the body" shots that are still sitting on the camera. I'll eventually get those up.
Photo taken during the openning salutes. It was a roses tourney and one of the College girls had the great idea of making ribbon roses that people could keep. I had a couple attached to the jupon by this point (the pink streamers you can see in the photo). I really need ot get a new helm, I forget how big that one looks on me until I see photos.
An action shot!
Overall I'm very happy with how the jupon turned out. It fits well, allows for plenty of movement while fighting, and the extra layer did not make me feel like I was over heating (and it was a hot day). The torse and mantle need a bit of work as they are a bit loose and fall off the helm when I take it off. Though hopefully Mr B is going to bring me back a bascinet from the USA so I'll wait till then to adjust the torse and mantle.
The jupon, torse & mantle, and shield won the A&S comp. I have documentation that I should really post somewhere (we have some web space with our optus account, might have to figure out how to use it). I will also have to post a photo of the gorgeous A&S token that I received. The College really does have some creative talent in it at the moment.
Next project: Helping the stunt double make some roman for Crown. Why? Because I don't need to make anything for myself for crown as I've already got a new outfit that was made since last crown (I have a "different outfit for every Crown" goal). Am I organised or what?


3 comments:
It was a very sexy torse, jupon and mantle!
Very belated comment...
I like the lean line you're getting with your fighting gear on, now. Stylish, as well as biffy!
Well it did have to pass the "does my bum look big in this?" test.
Post a Comment